Saturday, October 20, 2007

Newton South vs Bedford; 17 Oct. 2007






Looking at photos of runners in the newspaper always makes me think that most reporters are clueless about our sport. Usually the legs are cropped out. It would be like showing Manny at the plate but cutting off the bat - or Brady throwing a pass not showing his arm throwing the ball. Also, in talking with newspaper photographers at the meets they tell me they aim for a very small depth of field only having the subject in focus. My goal is to show the whole runner, and context of "the race" by having as large a depth of field as possible and showing runners in groups or surroundings - showing position.
I was reminded of this because it was so dark for the last race Wednesday that I had to use a fixed f1.8 lens and small depth of field just to have enough light for any photos.

No comments: